🇩🇪 The algorithm for getting a permanent medical license in Germany (🇩🇪 die Approbation). Be recognized fully as a licensed medical doctor and start working 💶💸

To be able to work as a medical doctor in Germany, what do you need?

A permanent German medical license (🇩🇪 die Approbation).

Can I (as a foreign doctor) get a German permanent medical license (🇩🇪 die Approbation)?

Yes, but you have to fulfill specific requirements first and need certain documents. We will walk you through the most important requirements through three questions:

(1) Did you finish your internship year or can you finish it?

Regardless of which nationality you have or where you studied medicine, you must do after finishing medical school an internship year (🇩🇪 das Praktische Jahr). There are no discussions and no exceptions! Please finish your internship year. Without it, you cannot get a medical license in Germany. Can you finish/do an internship year?

Congratulations 🥳 You can proceed to the next question (number 2).If you did not/cannot, read the following article:
For medical doctors: Is the internship year (🇩🇪 das Praktische Jahr – PJ) a must to be able to work in Germany? 100% yes! No exceptions!

(2) Where did you study medicine?

🇩🇪 Germany🌍 Rest of the world
You get your German permanent medical license ( die Approbation) immediately after doing an internship year and the exam at the end of it (The third state examination = M3 exams). You are done 🥳If you did not study high school in Germany, then you need a medical language exam (🇩🇪 Fachsprachenprüfung).
To know if you also need a medical knowledge exam (🇩🇪 Kenntnisprüfung), proceed to question number (3)

(3) Did you study medicine in a university in the 🇪🇺 European Union (EU) or in the European Economic Area (EEA)*?

🇪🇺 🇮🇸 🇱🇮 🇳🇴 🇨🇭
Your road is going to be very easy. 🥳 You do not need a medical knowledge exam. All steps you need to do are in detail here:

German medical license for EU/EEA graduates
Probably, you will need to do a medical knowledge exam (🇩🇪 die Kenntnisprüfung). BUT: not all non-EU/EEA graduates need to do it 🥳 The details are in the following article (link).
*EU/EEA countries: see a list of these countries: Link.

Want to learn more? Questions?
Join JETZT (🇺🇸 now) all of our groups & ask what you like
(On mobile phone: The links are at the end of this page/ On PC: On the right side)



Write a comment