• German doctors work in the UK: Introduction
The German board is recognized in all countries of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) (list of these countries). Despite Brexit (Britain leaving the EU on 31.01.2020), the German board is still recognized in Great Britain. 🥳🥳🥳🥳 Therefore, certainly can German doctors work in the UK. This applies too for foreign doctors who finished their medical residency in Germany and got a German board. The nationality of the doctors trained in Germany does not play a role.
You can see in the following article where the German board is recognized too:
• German doctors work in the UK: They need to register in the GMC
The General Medical Council (GMC) is a regulatory body in the United Kingdom that oversees the medical profession. It is responsible for ensuring that doctors meet the necessary standards for safe and effective medical practice. The GMC sets the standards for medical education and training, registers medical practitioners, and regulates the professional conduct and behavior of doctors.
So, the GMC does partly what the medical license authorities (Approbationsbehörden) do in Germany and namely giving the “🇩🇪 Approbation” (permanent medical license) in Great Britain for foreign medical graduates.
• Costs of registration
To register in the GMC, all costs are here: Link.
• Steps to get a GMC registration:
(1) OET (Occupational English Test)
Pass the English Language Test (OET) for Healthcare Professionals. This test and its parts are beautifully explained in a Wikipedia article: Link.
Many say it is an easy test and requires a few days of preparation.
(2) Fill the application form
You will find it in the website of the GMC. I must praise them for such an easy-to-use website. You simply answer questions about your situation, and then the website will show you what you need to do.
(3) Send the following documents online as a part of your application
- German permanent medical license (🇩🇪 die Approbation)
- Certificate of the German Board (🇩🇪 die Facharzturkunde)
- Letter of good standing (🇩🇪 die Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung): You get this from the medical association in which you are a member. It could be that they would require a letter of good standing for all of your working experience in the last 5 years. Please proof this point and write us a comment 💐
- Copy of passport
- Employer references (🇩🇪 der Arbeitszeugnis) for the last five years are NOT always required. Details here.
- Answering health questions. Link.
(4) Performing an identity check
You must do it within three months. Do not be afraid. You can do it with an app. 🥳 Details here: Link.
• FAQ about the exam from the website of the GMC
The most important questions are already explained in our article. For more details: Link.
So, this shows you how German doctors or graduates can work in the UK. It is easy, is not it? 🥳
Want to learn more? Questions?
Join JETZT (🇺🇸 now) all of our groups & ask what you like
(On mobile phone: The links are at the end of this page/ On PC: On the right side)